Do you want to install a Virtual machine on your laptop? You’ll need to know how to install and operate VirtualBox if you wish to build numerous independent guest computers, each running its own operating system without the need for extra physical hardware or support. This program is ideal for system administrators and power users who want to run several guest operating systems without having to add new hardware. We’ll teach you how to download and install VirtualBox on a Windows 11 laptop, as well as how to install the VirtualBox Extension Pack to expand its capabilities.
What is VirtualBox Machine?
VirtualBox is a hosted hypervisor or x64 virtualization software that allows skilled system administrators or power users to run several virtual machines on a single physical computer.
This application makes it possible to create virtual machines of this type. A computer with 4 GB of RAM, an 80 GB hard disc, and so on can be built. This is a virtual computer called a “guest machine” that runs on your real physical computer called a “host machine” and uses the resources of the host machine. After that, you can continue to install an operating system on this guest computer, such as Ubuntu.
You may use the operating system, install apps, browse the internet, run programs, and more as if it were a real computer after it is installed. You won’t even notice that you’re running one operating system inside another if you run it in full-screen mode.
Download VirtualBox to your Computers in Windows 11
Hardware Visualization must be enabled on the host machine for VirtualBox virtualization to work. This capability is available on most modern computers, however, it may be disabled in the BIOS. It’s possible that you’ll need to restart your computer and enable Virtualization Technology (VTx) in the system BIOS settings.
After you’ve enabled hardware virtualization, log back into Windows and download the newest version of VirtualBox for Windows from the link below.
Under VirtualBox platform packages, click on Windows hosts to download VirtualBox for Windows. If you are using another operating system, you can download another one!
How to Install VirtualBox machine to Windows 11 PC
Once downloaded the VirtualBox on your Windows Laptop or Pc. you can proceed to install it on your Windows 11 computer.
1. Get started, go to the VirtualBox installer and simply double-click on it to run it.
2. When you run the installer, you’ll be prompted with an installation wizard. On the Welcome setup wizard page, click Next to begin the installation wizard.
3. You can choose how you want features to be installed on the custom setup page. Leave everything else alone and click You can choose how you want features to be installed on the custom setup page. Leave everything else alone and click Next.
4. On the next page, choose from the options presented. This will add shortcuts to your desktop, add menu entries, and others.
When you’re ready click Next to continue with the setup.
5. When requested to install VirtualBox networking functionality on the next, select Yes. If you select yes, your network connections will be temporarily disrupted.
6. On the next page, when you click Install to begin the installation.
7. Finally, click Finish to complete the setup. If the check box is checked for Start Oracle VM VirtualBox, when you click Finish, VirtualBox will launch and open.
VirtualBox will open up and be ready to be used. You can start creating virtual machines at this moment.
Install VirtualBox Extension Pack
The VirtualBox basic package’s functionality is extended by the extension pack. It improves VirtualBox by adding the following features:
- Virtual USB 2.0 (EHCI) device
- Virtual USB 3.0 (xHCI) device
- VirtualBox Remote Desktop Protocol (VRDP) support
- Host webcam passthrough
- Intel PXE boots ROM.
- Experimental support for PCI passthrough on Linux hosts
- Disk image encryption with AES algorithm
Choose the link to All support platforms as highlighted below
Download and save to your desktop. Then open VirtualBox and go to Preferences >Extensions.
You can also double-click the downloaded bundle to start the installation of VirtualBox extension packages.
That’s it! You’re finally ready to start creating virtual machines.